People sustain injuries every single day in a myriad of settings, including parking lots, grocery stores, malls, restaurants, concert halls, and other public places. In many cases, the injuries sustained happen as the result of a slip and fall accident. Slip and fall injury claims are one of the most common types of personal injury cases that we see here at our Brownsville, Texas law firm. While many of these accidents are preventable, you would be surprised how often they take place. Due to the increase in slip and fall accidents, restaurants, department stores, commercial buildings and the likes are encouraged to implement safety features that will keep people free of injury. However, no matter what steps are taken, it is virtually impossible to prevent every single slip and fall accident.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your slip and fall accident, you may find yourself battling the store’s insurance company, which can be extremely intimidating. For this reason we recommend contacting an experienced slip and fall attorney immediately following your accident. The insurance company is not on your side and will try and collect as much evidence as possible to lessen the value of your claim and ensure they come out on top. Your best chance at defending your rights and protecting your claims is to hire a personal injury lawyer who has experience representing victims of slip and fall accidents.
With that in mind, here is a look at the steps you should take following a slip and fall accident:
- Seek Medical Attention – Before you do anything else, make sure you see your doctor or another medical professional to ensure you did not sustain any serious injuries. Your health should be your top priority. Period. Furthermore, if you did sustain any injuries it is important they are properly documented, should your case go to court.
- Report the Incident – Regardless of where the slip and fall accident occurred, make sure you report it to either the store manager, owner, or landlord. This is a critical step that will play an important role in your case. Make sure you get a written report of the incident from the manager, landlord, or owner.
- Take Photos and Document Everything – Make sure you take pictures of any injuries and the hazard that led to your slip and fall accident. It is also important to collect the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of all potential witnesses. Their statements could go a long way in helping your case, should it go to court.
- Do Not Give Any Statements – If you are contacted by the store’s insurance company, decline to give a statement. Anything you say can get twisted and used against you, so it is wise to simply keep your mouth shut and put them in contact with your lawyer. It is also important that you do not post any details of the accident on social media, as this could also hurt you.
- Contact An Attorney – If you have suffered injuries because of a slip and fall accident in Brownsville, please contact Green Law today. We will go over your case and help you understand your rights and what the next steps are.
For more information on slip and fall accidents, please contact Green Law Firm today and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys.